Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Playing B2 Gold to win

I find B2 Gold (BTO) appealing. Why? Because it is opening a gold mine in Nunavut come early next year. Gold mines are all too often found in iffy parts of the globe. Nunavut is a welcome change of pace.

I paid about $3.64 for my original 2750 shares. I saw it as a bit of a gamble but it is fun to gamble as long as the risk is not too high. I was comfortable with the risk/reward offered by B2 Gold. Shortly after buying BTO I received a dividend of about $150 Canadian.

A few weeks later I sold all my position for $3.88 a share. I made a capital gain of about $640. I immediately put $200 toward my 2025 income tax and used the remaining cash to fund a bid for 2900 shares of BTO at $3.60. It was another gamble. It took some days but the order was eventually filled.

B2 Gold then tumbled daily until it found support at about $3.45. On the surface, that represents a loss but after the dividend and my capital gains are factored in, I am still in the black on my B2 Gold purchase. I have another sell order sitting on the books. This time I am hoping for $4.20. I'm patient. I can wait.

The target value for BTO as shown by WebBroker as been climbing recently. Some analysts see BTO hitting $6.00 and even $7.00 within the coming year but it might be a volatile journey. If it is, I plan on being there to profit.

By the way, I am playing this game using my non-registered account. The CRA does not look kindly on investors using their registered accounts for anything resembling day trading. Gambling, especially when done repeatedly with one stock, is not for one's registered accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment