Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Friday, April 5, 2024

Putting my money where my mouth is -- for real!

I did it. I added to my Emera position. I bought 100 shares of EMA. This will be a core holding. I do not intend to sell this for some time. I will hold it and enjoy a 6.07% yield on my original investment.

Emera is one of the biggest utility companies in Canada but it has extensive holdings in the United States -- especially in Florida. As a utility, it is said to have a stabilizing effect on one's portfolio. Its price should not fluctuate as much as the average stock.

Its dividend of $2.87 is not only to be trusted, it has a DGR (dividend growth rate) of 11.66% over the past three years. To ease dividend reduction concerns even more, the payout ratio is only 66.13%.

I am very happy with my purchase.

____________________________________________________________

Emera is still lingering in the depths of bear market hole. Today it is selling for even less than what I recently paid. It is at $46.41 as I write this. That is a yield of 6.2%. As a buy and hold stock, Emera is a keeper and at this price it is, in my estimation, a strong buy. -- April 18, 2024
 

No comments:

Post a Comment