Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Monday, June 26, 2023

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

I have been checking out retirement portfolios posted by financial experts found on the Net. You see, I am an outlier when it comes to most portfolio-building approaches. For instance, I balk at investing any of my retirement money in bond ETFs. And so, I like reading how others approach portfolio building.

I have been wondering how I would invest my savings if I were retiring with a million dollars in savings today. I'd take my inspiration from the Canadian market itself and invest in most, if not all, the market sectors: financial, real estate, utilities, energy, etc.

The result of my weekend musings can be inspected below. I built this million dollar portfolio Saturday. It immediately jumped more than $4000 in value on market open Monday. I'll check this portfolio once a month to see how it is performing.

I have been considering Mullen Group, Algoma Central Corp and the ETF VIDY as additions to my actual retirement portfolio. I'll be watching these three investments and following the perform of each with great interest.

Oh, if you are interested in what percent of the total portfolio each investment represents, just look at the first numbers in the Market Value and round the number up or down to the nearest number that is a multiple of five. For instance ALC is 2.5% of the total portfolio and BMO is 6.0% and BNS is 3.0%. (This corrects an earlier error.)


 

I checked my million dollar portfolio in early afternoon. The gain is closing in on nine thousand dollars. Is this confirmation of my approach to portfolio construction? Not necessarily. 

What it does demonstrate is market volatility. Do not overreact to market ups and downs. Always keep in mind that the market is up a full two thirds of the time. In the end, investors with the long range view always come out ahead.

One has to be very careful when reading posts recommending an investment strategy. Stock markets are very volatile. My retirement income portfolio which was thrown together on the weekend was up $17,815.90 at market close just three days later. Someone pushing a certain investment approach can make most approaches appear very good on paper; just choose the right reference dates.

Let's be honest. There may well be a recession coming. It may be mild but it should take the markets down a notch or two. These gains, so quickly amassed, could disappear just as quickly.

But this portfolio will deliver a nice income and most of the dividends are rock solid. This portfolio should get a retiree through tough times with cash to spare.

By market close Friday I was amazed at this mythical portfolio's balance. It was up almost $32,500. Wow!

During the week, I have been adding some of the investments in my mythical portfolio to my actual retirement portfolio. In calculating the number of shares to own, I have been guided by the portfolio percentages used to create this mythical portfoliio.

I am pleased to say that taking my investment inspiration from this mythical portfolio is proving to be a fine move.

To see where this theoretical portfolio was after almost a month, please click the link: 

Retirement income portfolio update

No comments:

Post a Comment