Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Sometimes investing is gambling and its fun!

B2 Gold (BTO) is a Canadian gold mining company with its offices in Vancouver, British Columbia, and it's a penny stock on the TSX. Recently, I read that B2 Gold is opening a mine in Nunavut early in the coming year. With my interest piqued, I did a little research.

On one hand many of the target values for the stock are being re-evaluated downward. In WebBroker, I clicked on News and read "RBC Cuts Price Target on B2Gold to $3.50 From $4." This was but one of the bulletins announcing a lowered target.

On the other hand, when I clicked on Analysts I discovered that B2 Gold in rated a Strong Buy with a price target of $5.66. That is down from the $6 plus target that B2 Gold held recently but it is still well up from my $3.60 entry point. A check with Morningstar showed that Morningstar saw B2 Gold as fairly valued. No clear cut direction here as to whether one should buy BTO.

Finally, as a dividend investor, the 5.9% dividend was a magnet or would have been if it were not for the published payout ratio of 1,981.94%! That is just a crazy number. How is that even possible?

Did I buy? Yes. Why? Just for the fun of it. For the excitement. Yes, the money invested in BTO might disappear but it also might return a very nice profit. This is a "do you feel lucky" moment and I felt lucky. So far, I've been lucky.

I bought a few thousand shares at $3.64, kept them long enough to collect a nice dividend, and then sold all for about $3.85. Including the dividend I was now up more than $700. I placed an offer to buy but a low ball offer. Yesterday, I picked up all the shares I sold and then some at $3.60 a share. Today BTO is selling for $3.77. 

The game is not over but I may well make more than a thousand dollars gambling on B2 Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment