Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Why do I invest in the market?

With the market looking as if it could lose another one percent in value today, it is a good time to examine why I invest. It is not complicated. One, I need income to live in retirement and two I would like my personal worth to increase in value over time.

To illustrate what happens to a retirement portfolio over time, I created and posted a portfolio based on my investment beliefs. In the few months it has existed, it has lost almost $22,500. Ouch!

That my seem like a lot, and it is, the loss is not the whole story. At one time, this portfolio was up a little more than $50,000. That means one could argue that this portfolio is down about $75,000 from its recent highs. Looked at like this, it kinda takes your breath away, right?

On the other hand, we are taking a full four percent out of this fund annually in twelve monthly payments of $3,333.33. So, even though the portfolio may be shrinking in value, it is still able to meet the demands for monthly cash payments. In the real world a portfolio like the one posted would have only lost value on paper. Paper losses have a way of disappearing over time.

So, the example of a retirement portfolio posted in late June is meeting one of my two goals. It is delivering monthly income. As for delivering capital gain, the voting is still out. As the market tends to grow more than it shrinks, it grows approximately 65-70% of the time, if we continue to hold, eventually we should come out on top. This period of racking up loses should come to an end shortly.

Stay tuned to see how this unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment