Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

A Retirement Portfolio Designed for Dividends

How hard can it be to design a good stock portfolio capable of pumping out four percent in dividend income annually? Back in late June, June 25th to be exact, I did jut that. I designed what I hoped would be a portfolio up to the task and I posted it for all to see. Now, to sit back and see it praised or criticized depending on its performance.

I started my portfolio with an initial one million dollars. From personal experience, I believe this is a reasonable starting value. I will do more work on this in the coming months. If I have to lower the initial value of my example portfolio, I will.

I am withdrawing four percent in the first year: $40,000 annually or $3,333.33 at the start of every month. I made my first withdrawal in August. I let the first month, July, slip by as I wanted to build up a little cash before entering the withdraw stage. I filled the portfolio in June, I did not try to time the market, and so dividends began accumulating immediately.

Today, September 5, 2023, the retirement income portfolio is worth $1,008,083.36 after the withdrawal of $6,666.66 in two months (August and September). At this rate, at the end of 12 months, I will have withdrawn a full four percent in cash and the portfolio will have enjoyed a capital gain of 4.85%. Nice. Will this really come to pass. We will see.

To see the portfolio in its entirety, please click:

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

No comments:

Post a Comment