Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Emera: a good addition to a retirement portfolio

Emera is down. It is not scrapping bottom; it could fall farther but it is still down a substantial amount. It is selling for $47.67 and yielding 6.02%. The payout ratio is a little high at 77.61% but that is still not worrisome. The Dividend Growth Rate is solid, consistent and instills confidence. The DGR hit 11.66% calculated over the past three years. Over the past decade, the DGR drops a little to 9.38%.

My goal is to have 15% of my retirement portfolio tucked away in the utilities sector. Today I am not near my goal; I have only 10% in utilities today. This might be an excellent time to add to my Emera holdings. If you are an income investor and do not have any Emera, this could be a good time to add EMA to your holdings.

By the way, I just checked the Morningstar Core Holdings recommendations and the Morningstar Income Portfolio, both Canadian. Emera is on both lists. I see this as a solid vote of confidence. In writing this, I have piqued my own interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment