Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Bank of Montreal (BMO): Buy

In the interest of full disclosure, I own Bank of Montreal and have for many years. A damn fine stock. When it dipped well below $120 recently, I added to my holdings. It has regained some of its value but it is still a buy today. The Morningstar Analyst Report gives the stock a four star rating and most analysts I checked agree BMO is a buy.

The yield today is 4.84% with a payout ratio of only 83.31%. This payout ratio is quite high for a Canadian bank. A number closer to 45% is what I expected.  For instance, the Royal Bank (RY) is 50%.

BMO hasn't missed a dividend payment in more than 30 years. Its DRG (dividend growth rate) for the past three years is 10.71% and for the past twenty years 11.85%. With numbers like this, I see a core holding for a retiree: a dividend you can trust and it increases regularly.

If I didn't hold any BMO, I'd buy a little at this price but I'd keep some powder dry for other opportunities. With patience one can add to the BMO position when the stock is rated a very strong buy. You must stay alert though, it does not stay in the basement for long and that is a good quality in a stock one plans on owning for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment