Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Saturday, March 30, 2024

Dividends can ease bear market pain.

I thought the Telus price would climb, and climb very quickly. It didn't. It wilted, and its price crashed very quickly. I am out thousands. Oops! I am in the green on my original Telus investment purchased years ago but I am down big time on the purchase made some months ago.

Come Monday I will collect another dividend. I should see a nice, well into the four figures, dividend. It is the second big payout I have enjoyed thanks to Telus. When I have collected four of these payments, I will break even, assuming the Telus price does not keep collapsing.

Telus may reduce its dividend. If it does, I will still be back in the black on my total Telus exposure in what is a very short time to a buy and hold investor like me. I'm thinking of a time frame like a year or so.

I continue to bet on a Telus recovery. When it finally recovers, whenever that might be, it will flip my frown to a grin and my Telus holdings will go from in the red to in the green.While I wait for what I see as an inevitable turnaround, the constant flow of dividend dollars will pay the bills, keeping the wolf from the door. If I don't sell, I don't realize my losses. When it comes to the dividends, I realize my profits every three months.

If I had some free cash, I'd buy a little more Telus. I'm a glutton for something. I hope it's not punishment. 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment