Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Monday, June 19, 2023

Should a retiree portfolio hold ETFs or stocks?

I own just three ETFs. Two give me exposure to REITs and one gives me exposure to the U.S. stock market. Otherwise, my entire retirement portfolio is composed of individual stocks. My gut tells me that ETFs are good but I cannot get past the fact that the ETFs own stocks that I would not give a second look. 

For instance, I like Enbridge. If I am buying stock, I can invest 6% or 7% of my portfolio in Enbridge. If I buy XEI, I am still getting Enbridge but not as much as would like. XEI holds about 4.9% of its total value in ENB. Enbridge is yielding about 7.2% today. I am willing to accept the risk of holding the stock in return for this amount of income.

If you would like to know more about my feelings on building a retirement portfolio, click here: https://rockinonmoney.blogspot.com/2023/03/core-holdings-in-retirement-portfolio.html

Over the weekend, out of curiosity, I built an imaginary portfolio using ETFs commonly suggested for this use -- building a retirement portfolio. The ETF portfolio had the exact same value as my own actual portfolio. Today, the first day of the "competition", the ETF portfolio has lost $4000. I have lost about half that amount. But, one day is not enough time for making a meaningful evaluation. Maybe in six months.

The ETFs I used for my imaginary portfolio:

  • XTR
  • XEI
  • XDI
  • RIT
  • ZWA
  • ZWH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment