Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Core holdings in a retirement portfolio (in my opinion)

Recently I did a post on stocks I consider core holdings in a retirement portfolio. Click the link to read the post: LINK. A few days later, I added some more stocks. Today, I'm adding an ETF to my suggested holdings.

At the moment we have: 

Financials

  • RY (Royal Bank)       
  • BMO (Bank of Montreal)
  • TD (Toronto Dominion Bank)
  • CM (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)
  • BNS (Bank of Nova Scotia)

Utilities

  • FTS (Fortis)
  • EMA (Emera)
  • H (Hydro One)
  • CU (Canadian Utilities)
  • ALA (Alta Gas) 

Telcoms

  • T (Telus)
  • BCE (Bell)
  • QBC.B (Quebecor) (Best bought on dips.)
  • CCA (Cogeco) (Only buy on dips) I shifted from CCA over to CGO.

Pipelines

  • ENB (Enbridge)
  • TRP (TC Energy)
  • PPL (Pembina)

I believe that every Canadian retirement portfolio benefits from the inclusion of a good percentage of REITS. The well known and highly respected late David Swensen, google him, get his book, advised holding something in the order of 15% of one's retirement portfolio in real estate. 

I like the ETF RIT to fill this need. A managed fund and not an index ETF, the MER is a little higher that most. RIT has some of its holdings in the U.S. unlike the other ETFs that hold only Canadian REITs. This is a nice plus and in many years this plus is reflected in superior results. I try to add to my holdings on dips. RIT is yielding 4.6% as I write. Nice.

Real Estate (REITs)

  • RIT (CI Canadian REIT ETF)

I have some exposure to the U.S. market in my portfolio. For this, I like XUS. For exposure to the markets outside North America, I like VIDY but there are other good choices. Do not let my choices hem you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment