Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Thursday, September 3, 2020

I wish I had more of these stocks.

ALA: AltaGas

I have owned AltaGas off and on for sometime. Right now I own some and I'm glad I do. It is up 52% and it pays a damn fine dividend as well: 5.5%. It is in the $17 range today and many see it going as high as a $22. On the low end, its target is still higher than where it is selling today but not by even a buck. If the market pulls back, and it always does, I'm buying more.

 NTR: Nutrien

Another stock I like, and this one I own as much as I am willing to hold in my portfolio, is Nutrien. It is a Canada-based producer and distributor of potash, nitrogen and phosphate for agricultural, industrial and feed customers worldwide. Its dividend isn't all that great but at 4.8% it is enough to pay me to hold and wait. As I won't be needing my capital for years and so for me this as an almost risk-free investment.

Now, there are investments with which I wish I had less involvement. REITs for instance. But, I cannot time the market and I cannot tell the future. Unless all becomes very clear and without the requirement of a crystal ball, I will continue to hold my BPY.UN, XRE and ZRE and enjoy the dividends. BPY.UN is paying 11.5%, XRE 6.2% and ZRE 5.35%. If you are an investor, you have to learn to look on the bright side. Sometime, that can be hard. Practise! (That said, some would say accept the losses, cash out and run. If you wait, it will get worse. They might be right. We'll see. Come back in a couple of years.)




No comments:

Post a Comment