Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Stocks I would consider holding in a conservative portfolio

The following are all stocks that I would consider holding in a conservative portfolio. Note: I personally do not like bonds at the moment but if I was going to enter the bond arena I'd look at the ETF ZAG. And now to the stocks:

ALA
BCE
BMO
BNS
BPY.UN (This one is actually a little dicey but I like to take a gamble now and then. It's fun.)
CM
EMA
ENB
FTS
H
IGM
NA
NTR
PPL
RY
T
TD
TRP
VIU (an ETF for international exposure)
XRE (an ETF for REIT exposure)
XUS (an ETF for U.S. exposure)
XRE (an ETF for REIT exposure)

There are other stocks that one could consider but this is the list that I settled upon. To keep things simple I would just divide my investments equally between all the number of stocks purchased, except for BPY.UN. I'd only put half as much in the Brookfield offering.

Lastly, if you will need some ready cash, keep enough cash to meet your anticipated needs for two years. Two years maybe a little much as these stocks will, as a group, if they don't cut the dividend, yield more than five per cent annually. Do your own calculations but make sure that you do some and then keep the cash you calculate you must. Don't get trapped into selling low.

By the way, I find a spread sheet, like LibreOffice, a great help in managing a portfolio.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment