Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Don't panic. Learn.

As you may know, I'm a senior and I'm retired. My pension 1s very poor. It wouldn't pay the annual rent on a one bedroom apartment in the city where I live.

I took an early retirement and had to accept a 25 per cent cut in both my pension and CPP payments. Why the cut? Without an income, I had to start drawing on these five years earlier than planned. Sadly this was still not enough to balance our books and my, who is younger than I am, was also forced to draw on her CPP early and she took an even bigger hit. And these hits are permanent.

We turned to the stock market for income and began buying stocks and ETFs. Thanks to the bull market which just stumbled, we have balanced our bills with ease for the past 11 years. When I retired we had a portfolio worth x-amount. We have drawn annually on our savings for the past 11 year, and yet, before the bear market began clawing back our gains, we had a portfolio more than 60 per cent larger than when we retired.

My wife and I are managing our own investment portfolio. We have self-directed TD WebBroker accounts. We do not have a financial advisor. Why? I gave almost $4,196.71 to a London Life financial advisor back in 2000. When I retired, it took some effort but I got 75% of my original investment back or about $3147.53.

The source of that investment was money that I had accumulated in a London Life annuity policy. They came knocking and promising and I fell for the spiel. If the money had been left untouched, it would have been so much better for me, but not for them. They received an annual management fee for this costly, to me, fiasco.

I've made some other bonehead financial moves, more than I can address in this short essay. But, I must say that I have always landed on my financial feet. I've learned paper losses can be managed if you keep alert and have a modicum of luck. Note the mention of luck. Never discount luck. Always position yourself to be in place financially where a lucky outcome is expected.

What has amazed me over the years is the consistent flow of poor quality of investment information filling the financial pages of our newspapers. For instance, never sell but weather a bear market. Simply hold on, ride it out, and it will recover. I call this advice incomplete.

Check the chart on the right. The purple line with heavy dots is my portfolio. The two other lines are Canadian and American markets. While all the usual market trackers were diving, I held a straight course. Why? I had sold my equities and gone to cash.

Clearly, this was a winning move in the short term but staying out of the market indefinitely is fraught with danger. A big danger is, as the usual advice warns, one risks being caught offside when the bull returns.

And so I put half my funds back into the market when my investments had entered true correction territory. I immediately lost thousands. Sounds bad and in one sense it was; I lost thousands. But, as a percentage loss my loss slashed by half by the fact that half my porfolio was still in cash.

Think about it. If you have a hundred thousand dollar retirement account and you enter the market when it has already corrected, your losses are zero and the market losses are10 per cent or more. If you only invested half your cash and it dived toward bear territory in tandem with market, you would lose $5000 immediately. The market would be down a full 20 per cent or more but you would be down only five per cent.

I have never seen this pointed out in any newspaper account detailing what happens during a market collapse.

With the market in full bear market mode, I invested the vast majority of the second half of my cash holding. Like the first money, this second round of investments dived as well. I lost thousands more. A reporter who doesn't understand the market might very well be reporting that I was now caught in the middle of financial blood bath. Oh pooh! This isn't all that bad at all. Do the math.

You are down by five per cent and double your holdings. You now have $95,000 invested in equities. You lose a further five per cent or $4750. You have lost a total of $9750 from a $100 thousand portfolio. You are down 9.75 per cent. But the market is down 25 per cent.

Your investments have not even entered correction territory. And, as is par for this course, the next day the markets take a bounce. This is a screen grab of the gain my portfolio made immediately after the bear market buy.

The info on the left only applies to one of my portfolios. The other portfolios all  performed well. One was actually up 13.7 per cent while another was only enjoyed an increase of 3.68 per cent. For this reason we will only claim only an overall recouping of six per cent. But again, do the math. You are now down only about 3.75 per cent while the media is reporting that retired seniors are facing financial disaster.

Facing a disaster? Maybe. Maybe not. You have almost all your money back but, let's be honest, it is all in paper gains. In the coming months of potential financial turmoil you may well lose at least ten percent of it. Maybe more. But, and it is a big but, your dividend has taken a big jump in real, hard cash. Your portfolio now contains far more stock. Each additional share, and you have hundreds of additional shares, each one pays a nice dividend.

My dividends, for example are up in the five digits. I fully expect to see dividends cut. I can afford it. I have built a cushion into my portfolio.

It is not unreasonable to believe you may realize a dividend yield of about five per cent, or better, calculated using the projected income and your total investment. If, like me, you can squeak by with a dividend income as low as 3.5 per cent for a year or two, you can weather a cut in your dividend income of about 30 per cent.

If you have kept a little money on the side to supplement your dividend income for a couple of years, you are in good shape. Headlines like the one on the Financial Post will not make you lose sleep. And remember, bear markets do not last. Some are as short as three months. Others may last as long as three years. In the end, all are followed by roaring bull market that climbs halfway or more to its former highs.


No comments:

Post a Comment