Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Monday, December 17, 2018

Battening Down the FInancial Hatches

Since the beginning of last year, Judy and my portfolio has dropped some 7.9% in overall value. That sounds bad but remember, we're retired and we take out some 3.5% annually, or a bit more, to live. Still, in a good year, we remove some and the market goes up even more. In a good year we make money. This year we lost it.

I bought some stock late in the year and much of it wilted. Bad move. Yet, my Emera and Judy's Fortis both climbed very nicely. Those two were the standouts. My TD Bank is down in the four digits and sadly it is par for this course at the moment.

It looks as if the correction is almost here. (A correction is a drop of 10% or more and a bear market kicks in when the losses hit 20% and more.) I'm looking about to raise some cash for future buying opportunities. It's tough letting go of stuff at a loss. I'm very poor at it. My Hydro One was perfect for dumping, it was up and between the labour problems and Premier Ford, it looked like it may take a quick trip to the mat. If it drops below $18.99, I may come off the sidelines and buy back in.

I've been pitting our actual present portfolio against a portfolio based on an allocation model that I calculated would be good for an aging geezer with a bad heart and against another portfolio called the Couch Potato. So far, all three are jockeying for the lead position. That said, our present portfolio is pumping out the most dividend cash. This lets me sleep at night despite the recent losses.

I'm working on a new, allocation model portfolio. It will be a bit more diversified than our present portfolio. If Judy thinks it looks good, I may make the leap to a full re-balancing in the coming year.

And what must the new portfolio offer in order to win our hearts? More dividend cash -- but without taking bigger risks. Too big a dividend is a dividend that almost certainly will be cut. One should not be greedy.

Cheers folk!


No comments:

Post a Comment