Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Market’s Been Falling. I’m Putting My Money in Stocks Anyway.

The title to this post is straight from a New York Times story of the same name: The Market's Been Falling. I'm Putting My Money in Stocks Anyway.

This an excellent article. It says what I feel but am afraid to say. I find it hard to lose money in the market but I feel downright guilty when friends and relatives enter the market at my encouragement and then lose five or ten percent of their investment.

The article tells us: "Some persuasive analysts marshal strong arguments that the main trend for stocks at the moment is downward. “There’s a good chance that the bull market is already over, that it ended in September, and that a bear market has begun,” said Doug Ramsey, the chief investment officer of the Leuthold Group in Minneapolis."

But read on: "Mr. Ramsey said, the American market is still overvalued. He calculated that stocks need to fall 25 percent below their Oct. 31 levels in order to reach their median valuations since 1970. Stocks outside the United States are about 10 percent underpriced compared with their historical valuations, he said, so there are better opportunities in market niches around the world."

If any of this is grabbing your attention, click the link and read the article. By the way, the NYT isn't all that expensive. You might consider a subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment