Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Retirement Porfolio Portfolio At $997,693.50

In late June I posted a retirement portfolio for a Canadian retiree with $1 million to invest. I put all the retirement savings into stock and it immediately took off. I soon had more than $50,000 in unrealized gains. Then the market went into a tailspin. My imaginary portfolio dropped to less than $970,000. Ouch!

Even though the portfolio was losing money, it continued pumping out dividend income. I was able to withdraw $3,333.33 at the first of each month starting in August. At this point I have withdrawn a total of $13,333.32 and the portfolio itself has almost recovered all the value it had lost. 

My retirement portfolio now has a value of $997,693.60. If you want to see the portfolio I posted, please click the following link: My latest crack at a retirement portfolio.

Stay tuned. This portfolio and its management will get interesting come income tax time. There is an interesting wrinkle on the horizon. Hint: I meet the government minimum withdrawal demands with in-kind withdrawals rather than cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment