Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, October 9, 2022

A Bear Market Discussion

The American market is nicely into bear market territory. The Canadian market, for the most part, is still in correction mode. Yet, Canadian REITs are well into bear market land and I have been buying. My average cost is well above the present cost of the REIT ETF I have been buying, RIF, but my average cost is still just entering correction territory. I am not put off by the fear of catching a falling knife.

If bear markets leave you frightened, click on the following link: Bear Markets by the Numbers: Sit Tight While Others Panic. Freelance Journalist Carla Fried, who specializes in personal finance and writes for a wide range of publications, does an excellent job with this piece from 2019.รจ

Fried's third paragraph nails it for me. She writes, "Bear markets are absolutely normal. They are a consistently recurring event. The more you understand about the mechanics and history of bear markets, the less you will panic when the next one arrives. Even better: If you are a long-term investor, there’s some upside to bear markets if you’re ready and willing to make a bold move. (More on that in a sec.)"ter

Following the thinking expressed above, this long-term investor may buy another big block of RIT if it is down again. I am a big believer in the upside of bear markets. Make the bold move and do not look back. The bull will coming roaring back sooner or later. I like to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment