Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, September 11, 2022

I sometimes fail to follow financial advice

 I follow the Canada Income Pick List published at the first of each month by Morningstar and carried by TD WebBroker in the reports section. I own many of the suggested stocks but not all. I sold my IGM. That proved to be a good move. I also sold my Restaurant Brands International. That proved to be a very poor move.

My point? It can be very hard to follow even the very best advice when it conflicts with one's personal beliefs. With a lot of companies, I do not have strong feelings. Oh, I like Telus and have mixed feelings about Bell. I see TC Energy as a winner and CIBC as well. While ScotiaBank, in my mind, is always struggling. Still, I hold all those recommended companies in my portfolio.

But IGM and Restaurant Brands are in a league of their own. For numerous reasons, I feel very negatively about both. Investing is not just about making money. It is also about living comfortably. I could not hold either of these today and feel comfortable but I feel very comfortable NOT holding them.

If Restaurant Brands should lose enough in market price, I could see holding QBR.B at some point. As for IGM, it is out and will stay out of my portfolio for the foreseeable future.


No comments:

Post a Comment