Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Friday, June 10, 2022

Stocks I'm watching today

There are a number of stocks and ETFs that I follow rather closely. If the price drops my interest grows. If it drops enough, usually something in excess of ten percent off it high of the past year, I buy a little. 

If it drops another ten percent I consider buying more but at this point I have some exposure and I don't feel the same pressure to buy. If it surprises everyone and stops dropping and starts climbing, I am already on for the ride. If I can muster the strength to resist, I try and put off a purchase until it has dropped 20% or more since my initial purchase. At this point, the pull to add to my holdings is almost impossible to resist.

BAM.A: Brookfield Asset Management-A LV (BAM.A is down about 23.73% from its high of the past year.)

BMO: Bank of Montreal (BMO is down about 17.45% from its high of the past year.)

CM: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM is down about 19.61% from its high of the past year.)

RIF: CI Canadian REIT ETF (RIF is down about 17.45% from its high of the past year.)

MFC: Manulife Financial Corp (MFC is down about 18.87% from its high of the past year.)

QBR.B: Quebecor Inc CL-B SV (BMO is down about 19.11% from its high of the past year.)

QSR: Restaurant Brands International (QSR on TSX is down about 25.03% from its high of the past year.)

TD: Toronto Dominion Bank (TD is down about 16.01% from its high of the past year.)

XUS: iShares Core S&P 500 Index ETF (XUS is down about 18.92% from its high of the past year.)

ZRE: BMO Equal Weight REIT Index ETF (ZRE is down about 16.84% from its high of the past year.)

Except for BAM.A, all these stocks deliver a generous dividend. As a retiree, dividends, generous dividends, are very important to me. The large Canadian banks are wonderful stocks to have in a retirement portfolio as these banks, other than National Bank, have a history of never cutting or reducing their dividend. Bank dividends promise solid income. TD is yielding 4.93% at today's close.

The two REIT ETFs are also fine places to park retirement investment funds. I am betting that these ETFs will not cut their dividend payment by more than 15% no matter how poor the economy. I could be wrong, I'm human, I make errors, but in this case I feel quite confident that I am right.

No comments:

Post a Comment