Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Does ZPAY act an an alternative investment?

For years I have thought I could run a portfolio better than many financial advisers. Last November I decided to put my idea out there for all to see and to judge whether or not I was successful. The first thing I did was post a Million Dollar Retirement Portfolio demo. It is posted here:

Million Dollar Retirement Portfolio demo

Since last November two things have happened: One, a reporter told me than one success is not enough. One is not proof that I am onto something. And Two, a friend started a self-directed retirement portfolio and asked my what to do with their $340,000 investment. The bank was no help. I designed a portfolio for them and I am now following this new portfolio as well:

May 29 2021Portfolio

Both portfolios are doing quite well. My million bucks has grown to @1,220,250 since November and the May 29th portfolio is now at $344,450.

My goal with both portfolios has been to realize a dividend income of 4%, at least at the beginning. Put your money in an annuity, it won't pay more with each passing year. Unless you pay a very large fee, annuities payments are etched in stone for the life of the annuity. If I put a million dollars aside with the intent of withdrawing $40,000 each year, I feel I am a success if I am able to just deliver the $40,000 annually. Of course, I hope to increase this payment but I readily admit to the difficulties in achieving this.


Which brings me to ZPAY. This Bank of Montreal ETF is paying a dividend of 6.32% today. That payment would go a long way to keeping my portfolios close to meeting the 4% payout goal. But, would investing in ZPAY be wise? Would I be better off leaving the money to gather dust in cash?

I really don't know. But, my gut tells me that ZPAY, if held for years, might very well be the hedge that I long for. Over time my gut says it will outperform cash thanks to the dividend and although it will lose value in a correction or bear market, it may not lose as much as my other equities.

My demo portfolios have ZPAY in the mix and ZPAY looks good in those portfolios. The day I invest some real money in ZPAY seems to be coming closer and closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment