Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Another attempt at a 4% yield portfolio

I created a million dollar portfolio in response to advertising bumph sent to me by Fisher Investments Canada. It was well written; it was well researched; it was accurate. And I thought I could do better. Why? Because over the past decade I have. If you'd like to read more, please click the LINK.

But how many of us have a million dollars in savings when we retired? Not the majority of retirees, I'd wager. So, I have designed a second retirement portfolio but this time it is a much more modest portfolio of only $340,000. I will be following this portfolio in the coming months and we'll see how well it performs.

To create a portfolio I use a spreadsheet. I believe my spreadsheet is self-explanatory. I am posting a screen grab of my spreadsheet which I have named in honour of couple facing retirement.

To track the performance of this portfolio over time, I have created an emulation account using TD WebBroker Portfolio Manager. I have invested in nine Canadian dividend-paying stocks and four ETFs to add diversity to this portfolio. I have not invested in bonds. I don't believe bonds will add balance in the near future but will act as anchors pulling portfolios down. Every January I am going to withdraw 4% in cash to emulate the money withdrawn from real portfolios used to fund retirement. 

(And yes I know that there is one error. VDY cost $9.99 to buy and not $12.22. Oops! I confess that I entered the data, I created the jpg and I'm simply too bushed to fix this inconsequential error. It will have no effect on the success or failure of this portfolio. None.)


May 1st        Portfolio Value       $340,000

May 3rd        Portfolio Value       $341875 (Jumped $1875 after Monday open.)




No comments:

Post a Comment