Featured Post

My latest crack at a "Retirement Portfolio"

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Don't lose sleep over an approaching bear



I'm a natural worrier. I think many of us are. When times are good, I worry how long until they turn bad. When times are bad, I worry how long until times get really get bad. But, to others, I often present a positive face, a person confident-in-the-future.

Whenever I have stopped to examine these conflicting feelings, I have come to the conclusion that one must keep emotions in check. Stay focused on the problem at hand, the stock market. React with thought, THINK, don't let fear be the driver.

How likely is a bear market? Not very. How often does the market correct? Fairly frequently. For the record, a correction is a drop in the market's value from the high reached in the past year by a minimum of 10% but less than 20%. When the losses pass 20%, the market is officially in bear market territory.

According to Investopedia:

Between 1926 and 2017, there have been only eight bear markets, ranging in length from six months to 2.8 years, and in severity from an 83.4% drop in the S&P 500 to a modest decline of only 21.8%. It should be mentioned that the correlation between these bear markets and recessions is imperfect.

The Stock Market Crash of 1929 was the central event in a  bear market that lasted 2.8 years and at its worst sliced 83.4% off the value of the S&P 500. 

Sounds awful but I was left wondering what happened to dividend income? According to my grandfather, the crash wasn't as bad as many today claim. I believe many of his stocks continued to pay dividends throughout the Great Depression, although the payments may have been reduced. But the cut in dividend income may have been softened by the deflation of the time.

I discovered that Mark Hulbert, writing for The New York Times, claimed dividends during the Great Depression averaged a 14% yield. I can understand that. The value of a stock collapses but the dividend is not cut, or is not reduced to the same extent. The math causes the dividend yield to skyrocket. Many would argue, this is a good time to buy.

Hulbert has argued that an average investor could have fully recovered from the 1929 crash in only four-and-one-half years. Many investors would have benefited from the fact that within the broader market there were some quick-recovery stocks. There were other forces at work as well. Think deflation again. The total recovery time when all stocks are considered was arguably 12 years. A long time but nowhere near as long as many claim.

Presently I have 12% of my portfolio in cash. I've kept lots of powder dry, as they say. My dividends today completely cover my income needs. In fact, my dividends presently supply me with 8% more dividend income than I need to live. If the market crashed but dividends were not cut drastically, I could live quite nicely on my remaining dividend income.

If my dividend income was slashed by a third, it would take about 11 years or so for me to exhaust my stash of cash. By that time there is a good chance my portfolio would have completely recovered, my dividend income would again cover all my expenses and then some and all would be fine.

In other words, don't panic. A bear market is not the end of the world for a well positioned retired senior with a solid, portfolio. It may look bad but looks can be deceiving. My advice, crunch some numbers and satisfy yourself that you too can survive a worst case scenario. I can but I don't expect that I will ever find myself in that position. Even I am not that negative.

In researching this, I came across the following posted by Invesco:


No comments:

Post a Comment