Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I buy and hold but I don't always hold the same stuff

Awhile back I bought some Chartwell Retirement Residences (CSH.UN) It paid a nice dividend, it is still paying about 4.36% today, and it climbed in value nicely. Today I sold my Chartwell holdings for a tidy profit of well into the four figures.

But I cannot get buy without income. This is a given. I cannot sit on the sidelines with too much cash for too long. I'm retired and forgoing too much income is not an option. I reinvested my funds in H&R REIT (HR.UN). This well respected REIT is yielding about 6.34% at the moment.

And I reinvested a touch more than I originally had invested in Chartwell. My income has taken a small bump into the black. The icing on the cake is that I believe H&R has more upside potential than Chartwell. Over the coming year I hope to make more holding H&R than Chartwell. I did well with Chartwell and I believe it was time to head for the exit.

Now, I may add a hundred shares to my D.UN holdings. Dream Office has not preformed as I had hoped. It is well off its highs and no one sees it hitting the targets that had been once been bandied about for this holding. A new purchase will bring my average price paid down considerably and make it possible to sell for a profit in the near future. Most claim the dividend is safe but whenever a yield climbs above ten percent, I get concerned. Still I will enjoy the dividend while I can and hope to make a profit in the end.

My bid for D.UN has not been attracted any sellers. The going price has climbed a couple of cents above my bid. Oh well, D.UN rarely makes a clean climb. I'll wait and hope to make my purchase on a small dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment