Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Living in Retirement

The market waxes and wanes but my expenses just keep on growing. Putting my retirement money in the market, I was told, was a bad idea. I did it anyway. Even with the recent pullback, my wealth has grown by more than 50 percent since leaving The London Free Press. And that is after removing some funds annually to balance my books.

Today I checked the present yield my wife's Dream Office REIT is delivering. She is enjoying an almost 7.5 percent yield when calculated on her original investment. And the best part is that her total investment has grown in value and is still hundreds of dollars to the plus side. The stock is actually down from where she bought in but the constant flow of monthly dividends has given her investment the needed buoyancy.

We don't need to cash the dividends and so they simply 'puddle.' Each month the cash in her account grows. Each month the percentage of cash in the account tends to increase. The account gets less and less risky over time -- if you equate volatility risk. Today her tax free savings plan is about 14 percent cash. 84 percent equity and 14 percent cash is not a great ratio if safety is one's goal but it is still a pleasant holding of cash. The interest on her cash isn't much but it helps protect the cash from the ravages of inflation.

We won't buy more D.UN. No point having too much exposure to one stock. But we will buy another solid, dividend-paying investment and let it sit with dividends 'puddling.' When we get into our mid 70s and need a good source of steady income, I'm hoping our two TFSAs will be there to help fill the need.

1 comment:

  1. I agree free cash flows from investments are far too often forgotten. I find as client's net worth increases many clients want to leave a legacy... They say they've work hard to build up that wealth and can't stomach destroying it. So for these clients the cash flow the investments earn lots of time is their income and because of this ( and because we have long believed on cash flow investing) we try to manage portfolios and look for free cash flow as much as possible

    ReplyDelete