Thursday, November 6, 2014

Imaginary portfolio recovers; Now in the black

In my last post I blogged about creating a fictional portfolio to test my thoughts on a suitable portfolio for a retired couple in today's investment environment. I kept bonds to a minimum thinking rising interest rates in the future will play havoc with both ETF and mutual funds that are based solely on bonds.

The first thing to happen to my imaginary portfolio was that it lost five grand of imaginary money. But today it has recovered and is now nicely in the black. I knew this portfolio would be volatile. It is much easier to have the stomach for volatility when there is no real skin in the game.

  • Ag Growth International Inc (AFN) is up $1247
  • Glentel Inc (GLN) is up $1130
  • Whitecap Resources Inc (WCP) is up $450. A real surprise.

There are other positive holdings and some that are still lingering in the red. The worst performer, thus far, is an ETF: IDV. The iShares International Select Dividend fund is underwater by $783 U.S.

The entire portfolio is now up more than $900, no thanks to IDV.

It is going to be an interesting year watching both my imaginary money and my oh-so-very-real retirement money ride the ups and downs of the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment