Monday, July 21, 2014

Overall portfolio holding: recent buys falling

I'm holding onto my older holdings and smiling. At least my older holdings are not collapsing in value. My most recent investments are either treading water or falling dramatically.

I bought some D.UN for both my wife's portfolio and for mine. Hers has done well. Thanks to the monthly dividend, she is up very nicely. She is well positioned to handle a correction with aplomb. I'm down. I've been down almost from the day I bought my D.UN position. The dividend is nice but a little appreciation in stock price would be nice.

My Chartwell Retirement Residences is hanging in there but it certainly hasn't taken flight. Love the dividend but at this rate it will take some months to build up a comfortable cushion to protect my CSH.UN against a correction.

Both my Aston Hill Financial stock and my wife's are in the red, just slightly, but still in the red. I'd say it is in a holding pattern at the moment. I'm rooting for it but I'm not sure when AHF will find its footing.

Which brings me to my bet on a recovery in the housing market: Norbord Inc. (NBD). If one counts the pop I briefly enjoyed immediately after investing in NBD, I am already in correction territory with this stock. Norbord is down more than 12 percent from its recent high. If an overall market correction hits and NBD continues with its downward spiral, I'll have to re-evaluate Norbord.

I see the dividend as threatened in the coming months and that may briefly kick some more of the stuffing out of NBD. Norbord has a checkered history. I'll be watching this investment carefully for signs of recovery. I have my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment